Saturday, February 12, 2011

Geometry


Geometry is a stunning exhibition at Sabbia Gallery which opened during the Ausglass Conference and has just one week left to run: try to get there! Sabbia invited 25x top notch studio glass artists from Australia and New Zealand to create a piece around the idea of Geometry and the resulting exhibition contains some extraordinarily beautiful works.

The headline piece shown above is the largest work I've ever seen of Cobi Cockburn's, one which takes her oeuvre to another plane altogether. Also demonstrating a 'great leap forward' (to my mind) are the pieces by Brenden Scott French. His work upstairs in the glass cabinet is gorgeous but difficult to photograph in-situ; but I have to say I'm particularly drawn to this rather impressionistic landscape which is hiding behind the gallery's administration desk.






Galia Amsel is a New Zealand glass artist whose name is not at all familiar to me though I have seen and admired her work at the Glass Artists Gallery in Glebe. I find this new piece produced for Geometry especially beautiful and beguiling. It is titled Spirit and in the words of the artist conveys a quietly conquering spirit rising above a dark and complex space.


No comments: